Calmer 'n you are.

Spent the weekend in Newcomb. Nobody bagged anything, but everyone agreed it was a much needed break, relaxing and whatnot. That's whats important.

I spent a total of about 1 hour on the river (Indian River, below the dam), and about 20 minutes of it fishing. It was a bit cold (mid- to high-20's), but with the sun, that really didn't bother me, I was prepared. The wind was irritating though, and combined with an inability to keep my feet warm, casting difficulties from the wind were what forced me to head back to the warmth of the woodstove and the comfort of some John Updike short stories. It was still a gorgeous day, and I got to scout a few spots and just generally enjoy the scenery.

While I wasn't in the river much, I did get a chance to check out my waders. Last time out I made a couple pinhole leaks via walking through thorns. I couldn't locate them so I slathered the most suspect looking area with some AquaSeal, and when I got out of the river, my legs were still dry, so perhaps I got them. For some reason, my feet just wouldn't keep warm. I was prepared (so I thought) with comfortable layers, socks, etc, and the rest of me remained warm. It wasn't a circulation problem either. I guess I'll just have to give those chemical warmers a go next time.

I wasn't the only one who got skunked. The fellas at least saw a few grouse and deer (I don't know whether that's better or just more frustrating), but couldn't make a shot on any of them. We agreed that we should at some point get me shooting so I can join them when the fishing isn't so hot. I don't exactly have an overwhelming desire to shoot and kill animals, but any opportunity to further enjoy the outdoors is welcome, and I've always loved the taste of wild game, so there is that.

I would have liked to at least try for some smallmouth in the Flow, given the river was a bit of a drive and I didn't feel like going through the hassle again. Unfortunately, ice season has begun, and there really wasn't much access. On top of that, the water is quite shallow in the vicinity of the camp (read no smallies in casting distance where the water was open for about 8 hours of our stay), and with the water level lowered for winter, getting the boat out is also a bit of a hassle. So I was more than content to sit and read in the safety of the cabin and keep the fire going.

I guess it's time to focus on Glass Lake rainbows and Battenkill browns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beast

The Day the Music Died...

The American Consumer...